Have you ever shown up to a session, and after only a few minutes of shooting your clients, you completely froze up? Once they both stepped in front of your lens, you tried a few of your “go-to” poses, and then… jus went blank…?
Been there too, girl! 🙋🏻♀️
Honestly, it wasn’t until I discovered prompting vs. just posing that my sessions finally started to develop a “flow,” and there weren’t ever any more awkward moments.
To be more specific, I actually place my clients in a position which I know will be most flattering for them, and then I prompt them from there.
So let’s say I wanted a shot where the guy was behind the girl, and he was hugging her. I could place them in that position and make sure their angles were flattering, then… I could say, “Okay… I want you to try to fold Hannah in half like a taco.”
Yes… that’s one of my poses. 😂 #dontjudgemeitworks
So, without futher ado — here are 6 posing prompts you can use on your next couples session!
6 POSING PROMPTS FOR COUPLES:
1. FOLD (GIRL’S NAME) IN HALF LIKE A TACO.
- How to: For this prompt, the guy should be behind the girl hugging her around the waist. Then, when he tries to fold her they’ll belly over laughing. So cute!
- TIP: shoot this from the front & get both her w/ eyes closed & looking back towards him
2. IF THEY DON’T HAVE KIDS YET, ASK WHAT THEIR NAMES WILL BE.
- But don’t let them say what they are yet… make them wait until you count to 3, and then they both have to yell their fav name at the same time! It’s funny when they’re different! 😉
- TIP: Be sure to ask first if they plan to have kids, because this won’t work if not (obvs)
3. TELL THEM TO ACT LIKE THEY’RE DRUNK, & WALK TOWARDS YOU.
- Ask which one of them is more likely to be drunk in public, and have that one act out the scenario!
- TIP: Be sure to ask if they ever drink, (even if only occasionally!)
4. THE “CAN’T KISS YET” KISS (TO BUILD TENSION).
- The tension before a kiss is beautiful, so have them act like they’re about to kiss & then make them wait 5 seconds before they actually kiss.
- TIP: Repeat this at least twice to get a few different compositions
5. MACHINE GUN KISSES.
- Tell the guy (or girl) to give the other partner “machine gun kisses,” all over their face/head
- TIP: Say something like, “I’m gonna give you this prompt and you have 2 seconds to act out whatever comes to mind! The fast-pace prompt makes this SO much fun!
6. RE-ENACT THE NOTEBOOK KISS… SPOOF-MOVIE STYLE.
- Have them re-enact the famous notebook kiss, but as if it’s a parody/spoof film; so it should be super silly!
- TIP: Then, you could have them end with a romantic one for a perfect ending to a shoot!
If you’ve never incorporated prompts into your photography sessions by now, you’re in for a treat friend. Get ready to wow your clients with a SUPER fun experience, and finally be stoked to share those candid images you’ve been dying to create!
Want to download these prompts to your phone to have in a pretty .pdf format for easy access before your next session? I gotcha, just click the link below!
Realizing your photography business struggles go far beyond just posing and prompting? Need someone to come in and get you organized, streamlined, & set up for success to THRIVE in 2020? I have just the thing. 😉
Did you know you can hop on a free strategy call with me, no strings attached, to snag some of my best strategies to next-level your photography business? Just click the link below to hop on the phone with me — biz BFF style!
Looking for more helpful photography tips? Feel free to binge on these blog posts, or pin ’em on Pinterest for later! 👇🏼
If you’re short on time, follow me on Pinterest – and you’ll get these kinda tips delivered straight to your feed! You know… when you’re scrollin’ through Pinterest with coffee in hand, ready to take on the day… or, procrastinate.
Whatevs. Pinterest biz sesh, anybody!? 😎🥂